What's the difference between Duratech, Durapro, and the other class A pipe systems? I'm putting in a 16 foot chimney on a wood burning stove. What's the most economical class A pipe? How serious an issue is the drafting problem?
Posted by Elite Deals - Chris M. on 24 October 2013 02:44 PM

Our Answer:

Simpson Duravent's main Class A product lines are Duratech and Duraplus. Duratech is a double walled product that has 2" of difference between the inner and outer walls and is insulated with a blanket of ceramic fiber. Duraplus is a triple walled product that has a 4" difference between the inner and outer walls. There is a layer of ceramic fiber between the inner and middle wall, then an air space between the middle and outer wall. Foot for foot, Duratech is a bit less costly. However, your application will determine the pipe that is needed best. If the chimney pipe will be exposed to the outdoors, rather than encased in a wooden chimney surround, triple wall piping will be the better choice. The only exception to this will be if you are in a warmer climate. Double wall piping can suffice in the southern states, because it will not get cold enough to cause drafting issues. Given the fact that the total of your vent piping will be located outdoors and your location in Colorado, I would definitely recommend using the triple wall product. If you were located in a warmer area, use of double wall piping may cause only intermittent drafting issues. However, I fear the cold would cause ongoing problems for your installation. The chimney would likely get cold enough that the stove would be very difficult to start. On the occasions that the fire would burn, it would likely not perform as well as it should, due to the lack of a good draft. If you do decide to utilize the double wall piping, I strongly recommend constructing a wooden chimney chase around the piping to help keep it warmer.

From Section Page: DuraPlus Class A Chimney Pipe

ID: duraplus-class-a-chimney-pipe

(3 vote(s))
Not helpful