Knowledgebase
We have a 8" Supervent Chimney on our wood stove. We had a build up of creosote and it did have a burn in it. It wasn't a bad fire, but it did get hot. Any way to determine if any damage to the pipe was done?
Posted by Elite Deals - Chris M. on 24 October 2013 02:45 PM

Our Answer:

There are two ways to determine the usability of a chimney after a creosote fire. The first is to hire an inspection company to drop a remote camera down the entire length of the chimney to look for any cracks or perforations that resulted from overheating. The second is to physically disassemble the lowest section of chimney to inspect it visually. Again, you will need to look for any perforations or cracks in the system. If you do choose to pursue the second option, I will say that warpage can occur during a chimney fire that will make the sections very difficult to impossible to separate. If this is the case with your chimney, a camera inspection may be needed.

From Section Page: Chimney Products

ID: chimney-products

(0 vote(s))
Helpful
Not helpful