Do you have an insert that vents out the back of the fireplace, through a wall and then vertically to the outside? I'm building my house and fireplace and want something that will vent in this fashion.
Posted by Elite Deals - Chris M. on 24 October 2013 02:45 PM

Our Answer:

Based on your description, you will need a manufactured fireplace, rather than a fireplace inserts. As you noticed, inserts are designed to retrofit into a masonry chimney and must be vented vertically. They are simply meant to make the existing masonry fireplace more efficient. Manufactured fireplaces are fully insulated and designed to be placed within 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 wooden framing. Almost all of them can be vented horizontally through a wall and terminated horizontally on that same wall. A vertical run is only needed if the horizontal run is too long. The only downside to the manufactured fireplaces is that their BTU output tends to be comparatively less than the inserts. You will need to decide what purpose this fireplace serves before you make a purchasing decision.

From Section Page: Direct Vent Fireplace Inserts

ID: direct-vent-fireplace-inserts

(0 vote(s))
Not helpful