Knowledgebase
I have a vent free gas burning stove and noticed a black sooty film on everything in my home. What is the cause of this? Can it be corrected? Should it a health risk?
Posted by Elite Deals - Chris M. on 24 October 2013 02:45 PM

Our Answer:

In some cases, vent free appliances can produce this type of byproduct if they have an operational issue or are in need of service. The film is likely a thin layer of hydrocarbons that have not burnt completely with the fuel. It is recommended that any vent free appliance be serviced annually, as buildup of lint or dust in the air shutter can cause the problem you are experiencing. Also, proper positioning of the embers and log set must also be observed. Any restriction of the flame can also cause the problem you are experiencing. Prolonged use of an appliance that is not performing properly can cause respiratory ailments and carbon monoxide poisoning. Before using the unit further, it would be wise to have it serviced.

From Section Page: Gas Burning Stoves

ID: gas-burning-wood-stoves

(1 vote(s))
Helpful
Not helpful